- Gypsy Jazz at Tigermilk
Feb 20th, 2017
This Saturday night (and the next) will see Plymouth’s sublime speakeasy bar, Tigermilk, host a night of theatre and music. The 1930’s theme of the evening will extend to the band, with distinctive sounds of 1930’s Paris. The gypsy jazz trio performing will include ‘manouche’ guitar-players, Rich Hamer and Elliot Kelly, set on a backdrop of creative rhythmic energy that is Jack Rosewarne-Hebb on baritone ukulele. The fiery three-piece will light up the candle-lit bar from 10.15pm until late following some unmissable speakeasy theatre. For tickets: click here
Tigermilk, under the Duke of Cornwall Hotel, Plymouth, PL1 3LG.
Saturday 25th Feb + Saturday 4th March. Theatrics @9pm – Music @10.15pm.
New Year’s Eve On Dartmoor
Jul 4, 2016
Hamer & Co will be appearing at the Dartmoor Inn at Lydford this New Year’s Eve for a night of fine food and wonderful live music… Expect silky smooth jazz numbers and warm festive cheer throughout as you celebrate your new year in this beautiful moorland inn. For tickets to this special event contact The Dartmoor Inn today and make your reservation.
Hamer & Co
The Dartmoor Inn, Lydford, EX20 4AY
Saturday 31st December @9pm
Guesting with Gypsy GuysFeb 28, 2016
Increasingly popular gypsy jazz outfit, Gypsy Guys, have invited guitarist Rich Hamer to join them on stage for one of their dazzling shows. The Devon-based band offers the fiery lead-work of manouche guitarist Elliot Kelly over a backdrop of unbridled rhythmic energy from Jack Rosewarne-Hebb on resonator ukulele. Expect a wall of Django Reinhardt-inspired rhythm and gypsy fire to transport you right back to the 1930’s for an evening to remember from this fast-fingered trio…
B-Bar, Castle St, Plymouth
Saturday 12th March @9pm
Tanzanite ManoucheJan 1, 2016
This year Rich Hamer will be picking up his manouche guitar for some lush gypsy jazz as a sideline to his long-standing favourite project, Hamer & Co. He’ll be hitting UK venues to perform with Tanzanite Manouche in the near future…
Violinist and band-leader Kitty Heardman welcomed Rich and Frank into Tanzanite Manouche after she made a guest appearance at a Hamer & Co show in 2015. She now has the guys playing swingin’ 1930’s European jazz a la Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli with her – and they can turn out some large sound for a small outfit! So whip out your top hat and tails folks, ‘cos the Manouche are coming to a venue near you soon…
It’s Christmas! Guitar Lesson Gift Vouchers
- Oct 22, 2015
- Guitar Lesson Gift Vouchers offered by Rich Hamer for Plymouth Guitar School are becoming an increasingly popular Christmas present…
If you are looking for something a bit different for a loved one this year, then why not treat them to a unique experience? Give someone the chance to learn guitar in four 1-hour lessons from a professional guitarist right here in his Plymouth studio!
Guitar Lesson Gift Vouchers are great for everyone, from total beginners to advanced guitar-players. A Gift Voucher is valid for the whole year and costs only £100.
To purchase a Guitar Lesson Gift Voucher online, simply contact Rich Hamer:
Tigermilk Tickets On Sale Now
Jul 21, 2015
- This year the coolest cats in Plymouth will be celebrating a chic New Year’s Eve a la Bertie Wooster! The delightfully hip basement speakeasy bar Tigermilk is set to put on the party of the year with another of its popular Club Bijounights. Elegant gowns, waistcoats, spats, top hats and tails – it’s the 1930’s forever in this gem of a venue.
Local jazz-men Hamer & Co will be appearing as a smokin’ hot 5-piece band for the evening, and will be surrounded by all the usual sharp-dresssed guys and dolls, dangerous cocktails, tom-foolery and high society debauchery of our favourite haunt.
For all who love the idea of a swingin’ night on the town with the sounds, sights and tastes of the 1930’s there is simply no place to match it. See in 2016 with style at Tigermilk and book your tickets now before they sell out…
BOOK TICKETS for New Year’s Eve at Tigermilk – Club Bijou feat. Hamer & Co
- The Big Smoke for Hamer & Co
Mar 24, 2015
- Hamer & Co are set to perform a one-off show in London at Verdi (Royal Albert Hall) this June. The collaborative jazz band is led by guitarists Rich Hamer and Frank Hamer. The guitar duo have performed together consistently for many years now and their long-standing project ‘Hamer & Co’ have become regulars on the Devon jazz scene.
Hamer & Co regularly bring in highly accomplished special guest musicians to keep the music fresh and lively. The Verdi session at the Royal Albert Hall on June 28th will see the two guitarists joined by the phenomenal Jersey-born singer, Sam De La Haye and also the talented young Scottish percussionist, Robin MacLennan.
Expect to hear your favourite jazz standards through a dazzling hybrid of everything from cool and mellow jazz to smokin’ hot swing, latin and bebop… Don’t miss this show!
@Verdi, Royal Albert Hall
12.00 – 2.00pm (lunchtime), Sunday 28th June
- Behind The Looking Glass
Feb 14, 2015
- The modern world brings us literally hundreds of videos and photos every day. We are presented with theses frozen moments in time where friends are laughing together, musicians are sharing a moment on stage, a bride is walking into a church… It is a wonderful thing to take hold of a perfect slice of time and have the chance to see it again; to ‘see’ that feeling once more. We often admire the people in that image, yet how often do we ask who was behind the lens? What artist captured this perfect moment? Enter Scott Calnon…
Scott Calnon is an established photographer here in the South West and he is responsible for some of the most awe-inspiring images around. You can see his handywork everywhere from art gallery walls to treasured wedding albums and even the websites of good-for-nothing jazz musicians! His photography is refreshingly unique and always a cut above the rest:
“Scott has caught some of my favourite moments on stage with a couple of bands I’ve been in and he was also the photographer at my wedding. When he shows up at a gig I just know I can relax and lose myself in the performance – because he genuinely knows how to capture a moment. The man just has a gift!” (Rich Hamer)
- Bring On The Jazz For 2015
Nov 26, 2014
- It has been confirmed by popular nightspot The BBar that Hamer & Co will continue their monthly slot throughout 2015!
The BBar have long had a reputation for putting on high quality and unique entertainment in Plymouth. The cosy venue (attached to the Barbican Theatre) also offers the best Thai food in town. On the first Friday of every month isJazz Night hosted by local favourites Hamer & Co. Band-leaders Rich and Frank Hamer (a guitar duo) invite a variety of fabulous special guests to join them each month, allowing them to appear as a full five-piece band for the evening. The musicians play familiar numbers, blending blues, swing, cool jazz, latin and bebop into a melting pot of improvisation, offering everything from silky smooth to smokin’ hot! Every show is different and every show is something special.
Hamer & Co are the coolest cats in town to play with, and the hottest act to see live. If you are a player, play with them. If you are a jazz fan, don’t miss their show. This is something you want to be a part of…
It is best to book ahead if you want to guarentee a table. Entry is only £3.
Performance times are from 9-11pm with a short intermission
- Brook Guitars Customize Rich’s 7-string
Nov 15, 2013
- Having already built a superb acoustic guitar for Frank Hamer, Brook Guitars have just finished customizing Rich Hamer’s hand-built 7-string archtop guitar:
“Basically the (Eastman) guitar was just too big when it was built. It was not built to the exact specs I asked for, but once I’d had it imported I loved the tone and playability so much that I just had to hold on to it. The size of the thing always bothered me though and it hurt my back to play it after a while (which of course I did anyway). I took it to the guys at Brook Guitars and asked them if they’d be prepared to make it slimmer (!)… now I thought there was a strong chance that they would refuse on the grounds that it was a stupid idea, maybe noting down my name and number so they knew to never pick up the phone on me again… but they’ve turned my guitar into the meanest, slimmest 7-string archtop around. This thing looks amazing and plays perfectly – great finish and incredible craftsmanship. Thanks for sawing my guitar in half guys, I don’t know how you did it, but you did! ”
If you want a guitar that’s better than anyone else’s then go and have one built by Brook Guitars – you won’t regret it.
- Monthly Jazz Night for Hamer & Co
Nov 2, 2013 |
- Guitarists Frank and Rich Hamer’s long-standing jazz outfit Hamer & Co have been given a regular slot by popular Plymouth night-spot, the BBar. The night will be on the first Friday of each month starting in February 2014. At each show Frank and Rich will invite two different special guests to join them in playing everything from smokin’ hot to ice cool jazz in this wonderful speakeasy atmosphere – don’t miss the show…
Hamer & Co featuring special guests Howard Kahn and Sam de la Haye.
Hamer & Co featuring special guests Mike Trevarthen and Hannah Sterry.
Hamer & Co featuring special guests Sam de la Haye and Howard Kahn…
- New Projects
Sep 13, 2013
- The Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band are no longer together but we thank everyone so much for listening to our music and supporting us in the past.
We have gone our own ways to work on various other projects – and they’re all fab! So if you would like follow our music, please click on any of the links below to all our latest projects:
- Hamer & Isaacs live on BBC Radio
Jul 5, 2013
- Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band are appearing live on BBC Radio Devon (95.7FM and 103.4FM) tomorrow morning for 3hrs between 10am and 1pm as part of John Govier’s show. Other artists appearing in the studio with them will include Aaron Douglas, Chris Woods and Club 2Gethr. The band will play various songs from their repertoire and even have a jam with the other players. Don’t miss it!
BBC Radio Devon
103.4 & 95.7FM
10am – 1pm
- Royal Albert Hall for Gypsy Swingers
Mar 5, 2013
- Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band will be called to London this Friday lunchtime as the fantastically popular Ignite Sessions continue at Cafe Consort in the Royal Albert Hall. The show will feature special guest Helen Moore on vocals. Hamer & Isaacs have been no strangers to the London Jazz scene over recent years and this show should be yet another one to remember. Don’t miss it:
Friday 8th March, 12pm:
Cafe Consort, Royal Albert Hall, London
- Plymouth Guitar School celebrates 15 years in business
Feb 1, 2013
- Plymouth Guitar School celebrates 15yrs of successful guitar teaching this month. Founder of Plymouth Guitar School, Rich Hamer, says:
“Teaching music is something that I genuinely love. It fascinates me to see how individuals vary in their approaches and the way they understand things. It is an exciting challenge for me to always find a way to communicate an idea. Music theory is also an area of fascination for me. Anywhere that you can hear beautiful music you can potentially look right inside it and see a system at work. This understanding of music can be shared. Seeing somebody’s eye’s light up as they gain sudden clarity of understanding is something well worth working for. I started teaching guitar when I was sixteen and I’ve never looked back.”
You can find out more about Plymouth Guitar School by visiting www.plymouthguitarschool.com, and you can see Rich Hamer perform by checking out his tour dates.
- New Album Released
Dec 1, 2012
- Rich Hamer and gypsy jazz veteran Julian Isaacs’ increasingly popular project, Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Bandhas released its second CD, Live & Lovely. The album was recorded live in the Bay Horse Inn at Totnes Festival by Soundart Radio (102.5FM) and features all five band members on excellent form:
‘The ever enchanting vocals of French frontwoman Rosie Corlett, the virtuosic outbursts of Mel Scullion and the fiery improvisations of Mr Hamer are painted over a backdrop of Mr Isaacs’ train-like gypsy rhythm and Howard Kahn’s energetic bass-playing!’
The album is available at shows for only £10. The band always ensures that 10% of all monies recieved from CD sales go to charity – talk to the band to find out which charity will be donated to next.
- New Year at Rick Stein’s
Oct 15, 2012
- Following the huge success of last years event, Rick Stein has hired Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band for New Year’s Eve in his Seafood Restaurant in Padstow. This year it will be the full quintet for a whole evening of dinner, dancing and fiery gypsy swing music… and it is set to turn the thermostat up a notch! Book early because this one will sell out.
- Barbican International Jazz & Blues Festival 2012
Jul 25, 2012
- Hamer & Isaacs Gyspy Swing Band are again set to play at the hugely popular Barbican International Jazz & Blues Festival 2012 in Plymouth this weekend. The band will be performing a sold out show on a boat in the harbour on July 29th. There are no tickets left now for this show by Plymouth’s favourite fiery gypsy jazz outfit, but many other acts from all over the world will be performing all over the Barbican all weekend. If last year is anything to go by the city will really come to life for this event.
- Two Nights at Top London Gypsy Jazz Venue
Jun 20, 2012 |
- This weekend sees the return of Hamer & Isaacs Gyspy Swing Band to top UK gypsy jazz venue Le Quecumbar in Battersea, London. The band will perform two nights running with guest musicians including Bobby Valentino (violin), Blaise Algar (trumpet) and Dave Dix (harmonica). If you are looking for something special to do this weekend then look no further, you have found it.
Hamer & Isaacs Gyspy Swing Band appearing @8pm July 22nd/23rd at:
42-44 Battersea High St
London’s Calling Hamer & Isaacs
Jan 18, 2012
- If you are in London this weekend then don’t miss Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band as they once again explode onto the scene with a thrilling array of highly skilled 1930s jazz, with addictive vocals, haunting melodies and inspired soloing. The band will appear at:
9pm, January 21st
28 Ivanhoe Road
8pm, January 22nd
Round Midnight Jazz & Blues Bar
13 Liverpool Road
- Rick Stein hires Hamer & Isaacs Trio
Nov 1, 2011
- Having seen the performers with his own eyes at Dawn French’s house earlier in the year, celebrity chef Rick Stein has hired the Hamer & Isaacs Trio feat. Rosie Corlett to perform at his Seafood Restaurant in Padstow (or as the locals call it ‘Padstein’) this New Year’s Eve. Tickets are on sale now for a fantastic night of entertainment and fine dining.
- Swingers Back in London
Oct 19, 2011
- Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band will be once again gracing the big smoke this weekend when they appear in popular live music venue Jamboree, followed by the charming Colourhouse Theatre the following night. Fantastic UK trumpet player Blaise Algar will be making a guest appearance with the band at the Colourhouse Theatre show. don’t miss it:
9pm, October 21st:
566 Cable St
8pm, October 22nd:
- Le Quecumbar brings Hamer & Isaacs to London
Aug 17, 2011
- This coming weekend will see Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band perform two nights running at top UK gypsy jazz venue Le Quecumbar. If you are in London it is well worth making your way to Battersea to see these guys live:
8pm, August 21st/22nd:
42-44 Battersea High St
- Hamer & Isaacs are Jazzin’ the Big Smoke
Jul 27, 2011
- Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band once again return toLondon this weekend to do three special shows, two of which will also feature renowned violinist Bobby Valentino as a special guest. The band hit the London Jazz scene in style earlier in the year and after a very warm reception they won’t likely be allowed home for long before they come swingin’ right back. Don’t miss their show if you’re in town:
9pm, July 29th:
The Bird’s Nest
32 Deptford Church St
8pm, July 30th:
22 Frith St
9pm, July 31st:
68 Amwell St
- Hamer & Isaacs do Gaz’s Rockin’ Blues
Jun 22, 2011
- For one night only Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band will be in London performing at the notorious Gaz Mayall’s Gaz’s Rockin’ Blues night tomorrow at the St Moritz Club in Soho. It is always rammed with people – it is completely bonkers and well worth a visit. Come and check it out:
11pm, June 23rd:
Gaz’s Rockin’ Blues
St Moritz Club
159 Wardour St
- London’s Black Cotton Club books Hamer & Isaacs
Jun 17, 2011
- Tomorrow night Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band will perform at Volupte in London for the legendary Black Cotton Club. It will be a night of hot swingin’ 1930s jazz, dinner, cabaret, burlesque and dancing into the small hours! If you’re not dressed straight out of a high class jazz-age speakeasy you might aswell not show because this place fills to the gunnels with some of the finest dress and smoothest dancing you’ll ever see! Add to this the guest violinist Bobby Valentino and you have the recipe for a perfect night out. The swing scene and electroswing music is thriving all over Europe right now and the Black Cotton Club is at the helm… so don’t miss it! Tomorrow night London is definitely where it’s at:
From 8 ’til late, June 18th:
Black Cotton Club
7-9 Norwich St
- Barbican International Jazz & Blues Festival 2011
May 2, 2011
- Once again Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band will be appearing at this year’s Barbican International Jazz & Blues Festival that is taking place in Plymouth over the next week. The popular local group will be the closing act of the event, performing at festival HQ in the B-Bar on Sunday May 1st. Tickets are already almost sold out and it is advisable that you book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Dawn French Hires Hamer & Isaacs
- Feb 6, 2011
- Fronted by fabulous French-born frontwoman Rosie Corlett, Hamer & Isaacs were hired last night to perform by none other than Dawn French. The TV star heard about the band through a friend and recruited their talents to entertain at a soiree for friends in her own home. The largely celebrity audience included Ade Edmunson, Jennifer Saunders, Rick Stein and many more.
- Hamer & Isaacs Release Debut E.P.
- Dec 1, 2010
- Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band has released its self-titled debut E.P. The recording was made at Presspack Studios in Plymouth by Joe Biddle. The six track E.P. features not only the band’s usual singer, Rosie Corlett, but also special guest Becky Brine. These fantastic voices are backed by the band: Rich Hamer (lead guitar), Mel Brindle (violin), Julian Isaacs (rhythm guitar) and Richard Jones (double bass).
- The Hamer & Isaacs Gypsy Swing Band E.P. can be purchased at performances for only £5.
- Barbican International Jazz & Blues Festival 2010
- May 3, 2010
- The Hamer & Isaacs Quartet will be performing at the very first Barbican International Jazz & Blues Festival in Plymouth this coming weekend as musicians from all over the world flock to the city to play blues and jazz music. The Hamer & Isaacs Quartet features not only guitar duo Rich Hamer and Julian Isaacs but also virtuoso violinist Mel Brindle and double bassist Richard Jones. The show will also feature guest vocals from Becky Brine, a well-known face on the UK jazz scene. Tickets are likely to sell out so book in advance:
- 9pm, May 9th:
- Barbican Theatre
- PL1 2NJ
- Soupy Twist Release Jazz Soup
- Sep 1, 2009
- Rich Hamer and Frank Hamer’s project Soupy Twist has releasaed its first album Jazz Soup. The acoustic jazz guitar duet are regulars at Annabels Cabaret Club have been busy on the local scene since their first appearance in early 2008. The album features 10 of their most popular jazz standards. Come to a show and speak to the guys if you’d like to buy an album.
- TTNY Records Want Beach Addicts for London Launch
- May 31, 2007
- TTNY Records are going to put out two of Beach Addicts records on their forthcoming compilation album’TTNY Unsigned’.
- Beach Addicts will be expected to headline a launch show in London to promote its release with support from The Precious Egos, MidAir91, Area 15 and Mark Matthews. The Beach Addicts tracks that are to be included on the various artists compilation album are Sun It Shines and Misfit.
- If there is anything worth seeing this summer it is this show! Don’t miss the big launch night: June 13th @The Peel, Kingston Upon Thames, London, KT1 3HH.
- Beach Addicts are In It For The Ride
- May 4, 2007
- The long awaited debut E.P. In It For The Ride by funky surf-rockers Beach Addicts will be released tonight with a launch party at The Hub in Plymouth. The 5-track CD features their popular songs: Hanger On, Sun It Shines, Just Got Back, Porn Funk and Misfit. The band have agreed that they just want to get heard and that CDs will be handed out for free at their launch show. The music will even be made available as a free download from their website for a short period of time.
- Don’t miss the launch party @The Hub tonight at 8pm!
- Enter The Rooms
- Oct 12, 2005
- Plymouth hard-rockers The Rooms have released their self-titled debut E.P. The music will be widely available in city shops, at shows and also on the internet as a download. The band are currently performing regularly in the U.K.
- “The Rooms have a raw edge that I haven’t heard since my first listen to U2’s Celebration demo back in late 1981″(Kenneth L Solomon, PS Radio, Florida, USA)
- “The Rooms are an excellent band that deserve to go far” (Simon Thompson, Entertainment Live UK)”